Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Of Barcodes and Snow

Below is the background image - a number of steps were taken to get here, but let's consider this the "the bones" of the final composition. This image provides the "bar codes" like element. Note that this image includes a lot of repetiton - something I tend to do since I am quite "lazy." Cheap trick.



This image - an edited version of the Bev photo - was used. Color hue, saturation and contrast was also manipulated on this image by using paint.net and, more likely, MS Office Picture Manager. Manager gives you the greater tool set, but is applied to the entire image.



I copies parts of this image (magic wand) and also played with the color and brightness of these snippets...

This is a separate image that was being worked on and later used to combine multiple images into one...



Note color variations play and experimentation. This image is too apocalyptic.



At one point a parallel image became very abstract. Dead end, start over. There were a lot of "undo's" - where you "save as" and then "undo" using paint.net. MS Paint only allows you to undo three edits.



I then added some representational elements by using parts of the abstract image, etc on an interim image. The image, below, is close to the final, but for some color modifications. My daughter, Mariana, came to the computer and her comments assisted with the final compositional edits.



Final image that ends drought.



A variation, less sedate, can be found here.... sometimes there is a nice or a ripe brie in the basement.

4 comments:

lebanesa said...

Yay - you are busy again. This is fascinating.

shayndel said...

Wow. It's great to see the process.
There are so many intriguing parts of each in the stages. I like the purple version of the apocylptic one. Today my dark side is present, and that image has a lot of depth and mystery.
It's interesting how we tend to hide those sides in our final images.
I can ramble but I'll stop. And back to looking w/o so many words.
Thanks for answering some un-asked questions about the way you work.

annie said...

Its strange I have viewed and read the process of how you achieved this image,(so I know whats there) but I still feel the pull to go behind the bars and into the green mist and juggle apples in a wide semicircular fashion. Laughing. Thank you.

The Artful Eye said...

I'm still amazed you're doing this with MS Paint and MS Picture Manager.

These are really incredible works. I like the apocalyptic versions very much.